Almond 영어원서 매직북클럽 Day 1

 
Almond 



PROLOGUF
I have almonds inside me.
So do you.
So do those you love and those you hate.
No one can feel them.
You just know they are there.
This story is, in short, about a monster meeting another monster. One of the monsters is me.


I won't tell you whether it has a happy ending or a tragic ending. Because, first of all, every story becomes boring once the ending is spoiled.
Second of all, not telling you will make you more engaged in this one.
Lastly, and I know it sounds like an excuse, but neither you nor I nor anyone can ever really know whether a story is happy or tragic.


Day 1(1-11p)


1
*neither you nor I nor anyone 너도 나도 누구도 아니다
I know it sounds like an excuse, but neither you nor I nor anyone can ever really know whether a story is happy or tragic.

10대 (13-19): teens 
20대 (20-29): twenties 
30대 (30-39): thirties 
40대 (40-49): forties
50대 (50-59): fifties
60대 (60-69): sixties
70대 (70-79): seventies
80대 (80-89): eighties
90대 (90-99): nineties

20대 초반 In someone's early twenties
30대 중반 In someone's mid-thirties 
40대 후반 In someone's late forties
Then two men in their fifties.(3p)

*manic (바빠서) 정신없는, 미친듯한, 조증의
*bloodshed 유혈사태, 살해, 학살, 유혈
*unfold 펼쳐지다, 전개되다
I simply watched the whole thing unfold before me.(3p)

2
Mom must've forgotten to come get me from kindergarten.(5p)
*mausoleum [ˌmɔːsəˈliːəm] (중요인물, 가문의) 묘[능]
*come to가 ‘~에 다다르다, 이르다’
come to + a halt → come to a halt 정지하는 것에 다다르고,
come to + an end → come to an end 끝나는 것에 다다르고,
come to +  a stop→ come to a stop 끝나는 것에 다다르고,
The wagon came to a halt.(매직트리하우스 21-6/45p)  
The firing came to an end.(매직트리하우스 21-7/46p) 
Slowly the feeding came to a stop.(매직트리하우스 26-8/49p)
*come to an end 끝나다, 죽다
*once and for all 최종적으로[완전히], 단호하게, 단 한번만
Meanwhile, as her love came to an end once and for all.(5p)
I said I was sick of it being on the blacktop, and I just decided to get rid of it once and for all.(윔피키드 215p)
*overpass 육교
*railing 철책[울타리]
*saliva [səˈlaɪvə] 침, 타액
*evaporate [ɪˈvæpəreɪt] 증발하다[시키다], (차츰) 사라지다[증발하다]
The happy family moment evaporates.(When You Trap a Tiger 23-163p)
The softness in Halmoni's words evaporates.(WYTT 15-101p)
My spit evaporated long before it hit the car, but I kept my eyes on the road and kept spitting until I felt dizzy.(5p)
+) spit-spat-sapt 
*fan 부채질하다, 촉진시키다, 팬, 애호가, ..광
*fan out  펼쳐지다[퍼지다]/~을 펼치다
+) The police fanned out to surround the house.  
    경찰이 흩어져 그 집을 에워쌌다.
+) The bird fanned out its tail feathers. 
    새가 꼬리 깃털을 펼쳤다.
+) The forest fire fanned out in all directions.  
    산불이 사방팔방으로 번졌다.
Her face was lit with the glow of dawn, and her hair fanned out over the blanket.(Dear John-Day 16)
The stairways from the overpass fanned out in every direction.(6p)
*bearing (일정한 지점에서 나침반으로 측정한) 방향[방위]
I lost my bearing.(6p)
*crimson [ˈkrɪmzn] 진홍색
+) a crimson skirt 다홍치마
+) a crimson crime 피비린내 나는 범죄
+) She went crimson. 그녀가 얼굴이 새빨개졌다.
*cast 던지다[보내다](빛을) 발하다, (그림자를) 드리우다
*cast on and off (빛 등이) 번갈아 가며 나타나고 사라지다
+) The flickering candle cast shadows on the wall.
     깜빡거리는 촛불이 벽에 그림자를 드리웠다.
A small boy whose age I couldn't tell, but then black shadows were being cast on and off him again and again.(6p)
*exertion [ɪɡ|│zɜːrʃn] 노력, 분투,  (권력·영향력의) 행사
+) exert [ɪɡˈzɜːrt] (권력·영향력을) 행사하다, 있는 힘껏 노력하다, 분투하다 

*a final blow 결정타, 최후의 일격
One of the shadows kicked the boy in the side as a final blow.(7p)
*look 보이다, 보다
He looked older than me, maybe eleven or twelve years old, around twice my age.(7p)
*snicker 실실 웃다, 쪼개다, 낄낄 웃다
*hard (부사) 세게, 강력하게, 힘들게/ (형용사) 단단한, 굳은, 딱딱한, 어려운
The wind blew hard.(매직트리하우스 22-2/9p)  
She was laughing so hard that she couldn't stand.(매직트리하우스 12-5/34p)  
The shopkeeper was snickering so hard watching the show that he must not have heard me.(7p)
*trepidation (앞일에 대한 굉징한) 두려움[공포]
The word was trepidation.(7p)
*smack (손바닥으로, 특히 벌로) 때리다, 탁 소리나게 치다
*tide (좋지 않은 것의) 물결, (여론의) 흐름, 조수, 밀물과 썰물
*turn the tide 열세를 만회하다, 흐름을 뒤바꾸다, 물결을 돌려놓다
+) After a lot of discussion, we were able to turn the tide. 
    논의를 거듭한 후에는 형세를 역전시킬 수가 있었다.
+) They can't turn the tide even if they get 2 answers right.
    남은 두 문제 다 맞춰도 역전이 안 돼요.
+) The gap widened. - Let's turn the tide.
    거리가 많이 멀어졌어요. - 뒤집기 한번 갑시다.
On television, both teams were about to play another round of a high points game that could turn the tide.(7p)
I was too young to have much vocabulary.(7p)


3
*fiddle with …을 만지작거리다, 손으로 작동하다
+) People fiddle with their cell phone and stay up late.
     핸드폰 만지작거리면서 늦게까지 깨어있곤 하잖아요. 
+) We spent a long time trying to fiddle with the theory.   
    우리는 그 이론을 손 보는데 많은 시간을 보냈다.
I spin around to see Sam fiddling with something by the window.(When You Trap a Tiger 26-181p)
I fiddle with my braids.(WYTT 19-133p)
Mom fiddles with her glasses.(WYTT 15-103p)
Sam fiddles with brass doorknob, willing it to turn.(WYTT 3-13p)
*snap 고함치다, 뾰족하게 말하다
*snap at ...에 달려들다, 물다, ...에 잔소리를 하다
When he saw me fiddling with the caramel again, he snapped at me to leave if I wasn't going to buy anything.(8p)
*the thing is 실은(중요한 사실·이유·해명을 언급하려고 할 때 씀)
Except maybe - the thing is - what if- it's already too late?(WYTT 36-247p)
The thing is, he was the shopkeeper's son.(9p)

***
*work up 만들어 내다, 일으키다, 화가 나다
They went back and forth, working up a cool breeze.(9p)
*ramble (특히 오랫동안) 횡설수설하다[지껄이다], 걷다[거닐다], 걷기, 긴 산책, 횡설수설(하는 말글)
I couldn't exactly understand his rambling.(10p)-횡설수설하다
On their ramble through the cloud forest, the gorillas found food everywhere.(26-7/43p)-걷다[거닐다]
She and Bubu played tag in the drizzly woods.(26-7/43p)-걷다[거닐다]
You should've said it seriously.(10p)
*all along 내내[죽]
I'd been perfectly serious all along.(10p)
*madhouse (혼란스럽고 시끄러워) 정신없는 곳, 정신 병원
*clamor [klǽmər] (큰 소리로) 요구하다, 떠들어대다, 떠들썩한 소리
Her voice was almost lost in the clamor.(Dear John-Day 39)
Mom raised her voice for me, turning the police station into a madhouse, with the clamoring of a parent who'd lost his child and a parent who'd found hers.(10p)

                                             ***
From then on, Mom's fears became a reality one after another.
*weird (내게 익숙한 경험/지식과 달라서) 이상한
+) It tastes weird.그거 맛이 이상한데/ 평소와 다른데.
+) You're acting weird.=You're being weird. 너 평소와 다르게 왜이래.
Things got worse after I entered elementary school.
*trip over...에 발이 걸려 넘어지다
*cluck 혀를 쯧쯧 차다, (닭이) 꼬꼬댁거리다
She glanced at me, clucking her tongue.(11p)
So rumors are true, something is weird about you.(11p)
*prickle (무서움 화흥분 등으로) (머리털이) 곤두서다[(몸이) 오싹하다], 깔끄럽다[까칠거리다] 따끔거리다
The other kids sensed that something was happening and gathered around their whispers pricking my ears.(11p)
For all I knew, the were probably echoing what the girl's mom had said.(11p)
*trip 발을 헛디디다, 넘어뜨리다, 여행
She was just unlucky to trip.(11p)
People just can't stand it when something is different.(11p)

오디오북은
미국 도서관 카드 있는 있으시면 
hoopla App 이용해 보세요. 







댓글

  1. 1. I simply watched the whole thing unfold before me.
    2. I took aim a car and spat.
    3. I stubbornly continued my small steps forward.
    4. I have no idea why i still remember the word.
    5. They went back and forth, working up a cool breeze.
    1 victim 희생자
    2 manic 정신없는, 미친듯한
    3 bloodshed 유혈사태, 살해
    4 unfold 전개되다
    5 saliva 침
    6 evaporate 사라지다, 증발하다
    7 spit 침, 침 뱉다
    8 fan out 펼쳐지다
    9 bearing 방향
    10 crimson 진홍색
    11 cast on and off 나타났다 사라졌다
    12 exertion 노력, 분투
    13 a final blow 결정타
    14 snicker 낄낄, 실실 웃다
    15 trepidation 두려움, 공포, 전율
    16 stubbornly 고집스럽게
    17 vacant 비어있는
    18 fiddle with 만지작거리다
    19 clamor 요구하다, 떠들다
    20 prickle 오싹하다, 따끔거리다

    답글삭제
  2. 1. When he saw me fiddling with the caramel again,
    he snapped at me to leave if I wasn’t going to buy anything.
    2.I couldn’t exactly understand his rambling.
    3.She was just unlucky to trip.

    brat 귀찮게하는아이
    prickle 곤두서다
    doze off 깜빡졸다
    fiddle with 만지작거리다
    trepidation 두려움

    답글삭제
  3. 1. Her love came to an end once and for all.
    2. Their whispers pricking my ears.

    Manic 정신없는 미친듯한
    Bloodshed 유혈사태
    Mausoleum 묘
    Once and for all 최종적으로, 완전히
    Fan out 펼쳐지다
    Exertion 노력, 분투
    A final blow 결정타, 최후의 일격
    Snicker 소리내어 웃다, 실실웃다
    Trepidation 전율, 공포, 두려움
    Fiddle with ~을 만지작거리다
    Snap 때리다, 딱 소리나게 치다
    Ramble 횡설수설하다.
    Clamor (큰 소리로) 요구하다, 떠들어대다
    Cluck 혀를 쯧쯧차다.
    Prickle 뽀족한 끝, 가시, 바늘

    답글삭제

  4. Wounded 부상당한
    Salvation 구원
    Bloodshed 유혈
    Unfold 펴다
    Faded 빛바랜
    Mausoleum무덤
    Overpass고가도로
    By beneath me 내 밑에
    I kept my eyes on the road.
    나는 길에 시선을 고정했다.
    A couple of pigeons flapped away above my head. 내 머리위로 비둘기 한쌍이 날아갔다.
    those crumbling walls 저 무너져가는 벽들
    black shadows were being cast on and off him again and again.
    검은 그림자가 계속 그에게 드리워지고 있었다.

    답글삭제
  5. 1. I know it sounds like an excuse, but neither you nor I nor anyone can ever really know whether a story is happy or tragic.
    2.That day, Mom must've forgotten to come get me from kindergarten.
    3. The shopkeeper was snickering so hard watching the show that he must not have heard me.
    4. The thing is, he was the shopkeeper's son.
    5. You see your friend fall and don't even ask if she's okay? So the rumors are true, something is weird about you.

    답글삭제
  6. 1.once and for all:최종적으로, 단호하게
    2.exertion:분투
    3.as if he'd grown used to the beating
    4.turn the tide
    5.rambling:횡설수설하다
    6.clamor: 요구하다, 떠들어대다
    7. While I waited for her to get back up
    8.prickle:곤두서다

    답글삭제
  7. 1.So do those you love and those you hate.
    2.I simply watched the whole thing unfold before me.
    3.I turned the corner without hesitation.
    4.The shopkeeper was snickering so hard watching the show that he must not have heard me.
    5. One lady kept making wrong guesses and drew laughs from the audience and the shopkeeper.
    6. All I could do was repeat myself.
    7. When he saw me fiddling with the caramel again, he snapped at me to leave if I wasn't going to buy anything.
    8.He slumped down on his knees.
    9. You should've said it seriously, now it's too late for my son!
    10. That was when Granny came in to save me, appearing out of nowhere like Wonder Woman, sweeping me up into her arms.

    답글삭제

댓글 쓰기